Virginia Belser has been engaged with art ever since she can remember…. from Saturday classes at the local university to having her own cubby in 3rd grade for storing art work created at the end of the school day. High school experiences included her first forays in life drawing and learning the medium of oil paint.
Majoring in watercolors in college, Virginia’s senior thesis focused on the tension created by trying to describe vast space while using a minimum of painterly details.
She first discovered the medium of pastels in the mid 1990’s. After a painting hiatus focused on raising her sons, she returned to pastels in the mid 2000’s. During those years, as her young boys were still a priority, her painting time occurred mostly on vacations or during intensive workshops. A two year stint in coastal North Carolina provided Virginia with a great deal of engaging landscape challenges.
Ms. Belser is a signature member of and currently serves as President of the Central Pennsylvania Pastel Society, the Pastel Society of North Carolina and the Wilmington Art Association.
She has shown and sold her work in several juried exhibits in both the central Pennsylvania area and the southeastern coastal North Carolina including:
- Riley on Main, Boalsburg, PA (August 2016 - present)
- Sustain, Lemont, PA (May 2016 -December 2016)
- Central Pennsylvania Pastel Society exhibit "Pastel Passions and Beyond" (May - July 2016)
- State College Frame Shop and Gallery, State College, PA (February 2014 - present)
- CALC (Carlisle Arts Learning Center), Carlisle, PA (June 5- July 18, 2015)
- "Pastel Expressions", SAMA Ligonier Museum, juried joint pastel society exhibit (summer 2015)
- Lynden Gallery, Elizabethtown, PA (September, 2014- May 2016)
- Carolina’s Got Art, selective juried exhibit in Charlotte, NC (April/May 2013)
- Airlie Moon shop, Wilmington, NC (summer 2012- August 2016)
- Dual artist exhibit in the MC Ernie Gallery, Wilmington ,NC (Nov.- Dec. 2012 )
- Figments Gallery , Wilmington, NC (spring 2012-summer 2013)
- Ricky Evans Gallery of Southport, NC (spring 2012-summer 2013)
- Cary Gallery of Artists Small Treasure show, Cary, NC (April, 2013)
- Wilmington Art Association Azalea Festival show, Wilmington, NC (2012 and 2013)
- Awarded best in medium at WAA Azalea Festival show in 2012
- Group exhibits with the Central Pennsylvania Pastel Society - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010